Fresh Thoughts and Ideas : Eco Friendly Parenting and More!
3 Things You Should Be Doing With Your Kid On The Daily (To Help Him/Her Be Active And Love It!) March 09, 2017 06:30
We all want our kid(s) to be active - and to enjoy it - so that they can grow up to be adults who are fit and healthy. But what's the secret ingredient to getting them hooked? Activity that your child ENJOYS. So, from a young age, it's super important to help your kids(s) be active in ways that are fun, so that it doesn't become something that they have to do, but rather something that they want to do.
Here are 3 things you can do with your kids on a daily basis to help cultivate the habit of being active long term:
- Walk anywhere that you can. Walking with your kid(s) teaches them that it is an easy, fun and surprisingly quick way to get places. Walking every day (rain or shine) means that they'll be good at it and it'll become a habit that they won't have to think about. To make the walk more fun you could go on "missions" together or play games like "I spy" or "hide-and-go-seek" as you go. Walking is also a mode of active transportation, which is an eco-friendly habit you probably want to pass on to your kid(s).
- Encourage your kid(s)s to play with active toys like jump ropes, balls (of all sizes) and even mini trampolines or scooters. The best way to encourage your kid(s) is to just play with them. It doesn't have to be for a long time but role modelling when it comes to being active is so, so important.
- Dance. It sounds like a silly way to be active but dancing is a great way to get your kid(s) moving as well as develop rhythm, self-expression, coordination (or kinesthetic intelligence) and even appreciation for their body. Putting on some music and dancing is something that's so easy to integrate on a regular basis. Also, you don't have to be a great dancer to dance with your kid(s) because they don't know if you've "got the moves" or not.
Most importantly, enjoy being active, especially when being active with your kids. Like mentioned earlier, role modelling is essential for this habit.
Three Things we Love About Reading March 02, 2017 16:32
For this week's edition of Three Things Thursdays we're celebrating Read Across America day! We wanted to share three things we love about reading.
Thing 1: It opens minds to new worlds
Whether it allows your kids to experience a foreign land, new friends, different cultures, minuscule ecosystems, or varied environments, in all cases your child is getting exposure to a wider variety of experiences. This type of exposure broadens the mind and builds more balanced kids.
Thing 2: Vocabulary and focus
Studies show that kids who get exposure to books and reading at a younger age have vastly larger vocabularies than those who don't. This type of advantage allows kids to get a lift as they move through the developmental cycle. The experience of sitting calmly to read is also an advantage as kids start school. Kids who are able to sit still and focus do better academically. Read more about this here.
Thing 3: Imagination
Maybe best of all is the power of imagination. Allowing kids to enter the storybook world exposes them to the magical powers of make believe. This gets the creative juices flowing and leads to more creative problem solving and play. It also allows them to test out a situation before experiencing it in real life. This can be incredibly valuable in managing fear of the unknown.
So... why not grab a book, sit down with your child, and enjoy Read Across America Day?
3 Things We Love About Patagonia February 23, 2017 09:00
Patagonia is an AMAZING store! Recently, on one of my favourite podcasts (How I Built This), I learned some new and inspiring stuff about this truly eco-friendly company. Right on their website they declare themselves as environmental activists - I love that!
In the name of respecting our new series of "Three Things Thursdays", I had to chose just 3 things I love about Patagonia, but it was hard...
Here they are:
- Patagonia has been encouraging people to buy less stuff and find ways to reuse and restore their equipment! How cool is that!?
- In 2016, they pledged 10$ million from their Black Friday Sales to grassroots environmental groups.
- For the past 20 years, they've been using organic cotton and been pesticide-free!
Like I said, those are only a few reasons we love this company. If you are interested in learning more, check out this short video (click on image below) to see everything that they are doing to be a green (and more and more fair trade) company.
Piperoos strives to be green in every way possible and it is so inspiring to see big companies like Patagonia making the environment a priority as well.